Latest News - HRFC

Search
Go to content

Main menu:

Latest News

Interesting !!!

UPDATE 22 Feb 2018

  

The "Bloody Big BBQ" Sunday 18th March:

A reminder that we have committed to participating the Bush Flyers Down Under "Bloody Big BBQ" which is a fund raiser for the McGrath Foundation to help fund the appointment of full time Breast Cancer Nurses for reginal and country Australia. This event will run along similar lines to "Australia's Biggest Morning Tea". In the case of the BBBBQ, a number of flying clubs around the country will hold a BBQ during March and all money raised will go directly to the McGrath Foundation. A good cause so please support it if you can. Incidently, Bush Flyers down Under will provide a plaque for the best BBQ and a cricket bat signed by Glen McGrath for the best decorated aircraft (must be decorated in pink). We will also have a couple of local random prizes and run a raffle or two as well on the day. Lunch will be on from 12 noon.


An invitation to the BBQ has been sent to various other Clubs in the area along with a copy of the attached flyer.

   Rabbits on the airport:
We have received advice from Council that the area around our hangars and clubhouse has been identified by Council and the Australian Government Department of the Environment as an area for the release of the calicivirus. Over the next few weeks you may see signes of carots being spread in various locations around the hangars, this is part of the process so, PLEASE be careful if you have childeren or pets on the airport.

   Weather Trainitng Session 10am Sunday March 11th:
On Sunday morning prior to the March meeting, Keith McGeachie will conduct a one hour training session for pilots and student pilots (or anyone else that wants to attend) covering the recently introduced Graphical Area Forecast (GAF) system.

   Human Factors Training Sunday February 25th:
Keith will also be conducting a Human Factors session for pilots and student pilots this Sunday. Anyone interested should contact Keith for further details on 0418 684 131.

   Clifton Fly-in Saturday March 10th:
A couple of our members are planning to fly to the Clifton Fly-in on Saturday March 10th. An early morning start and back before last light - weather permitting of course. So, anyone wishing to fly along in company, should contact Don Ramsay on 0418 257 793.



UPDATE  15 Nov 2017


New Airport Manager:


CCC has now appointed a new person into the roll. This is now a permanent position and I have an appointment to meet with the gentleman on Friday.


   Car Club Visit:

Earlier I advised Members that a Central Coast Car club would be visiting the Club on Saturday (11th November) but we have been advised that the visit has been postponed to a new date to be set in the new year.

   Photos for website:

Our web master (Murray Edwards) is wanting to update the website and is asking for updated photos. So, if you don't have a photo of your aircraft on the site I am sure that Murray would be pleased to here from you. Or if you have an aircraft or any aircraft parts that you would like to sell - Murray is the man.  ( murrayels@gmail.com )

   Lake MacQuarie Fly-in:

The 2017 OzRunways Fly-in is coming up on Saturday 18th November - this is a fund raiser for Angel Flight. Those that subscribe to OzRunways would already be aware of this one but for those that don't, here is the lowdown straight from Matt Hall..

   Gathering of the Moths Fly-in - Mt Beauty:

Gerard Kit has forwarded details of a a Fly-in at Mt Beauty that he plans to attend and advised that if any other members were interested in flying down in company, he intends to depart Cessnock at first light on Saturday 25th November and return sometime on the Sunday (29th).

   Blenheim Air Show Easter 2019:

A suggestion has been put forward that the Club consider arranging a group tour to the 2019 Blenheim Air Show in NZ. This is still a long way off but if we do it we will need to start making arrangements sooner rather than later. So, at this stage I would like to get a feel for the member's interest. Not looking for any commitments right now but if you would be interested, please let me know so that I can look at the options and put together a couple of proposals. In case you are not familiar with this show, here is a link that may be of interest to you.


2019 will be a celebration of World War 1 - 100 years on, so it should be something special.


Military Exercises over Newcastle


It has come to OUR attention that there will be Military Exercises over Newcastle leading up to and during the V8 Supercar event so thought it may be wise to pass this on and remind members to double check the NOTAMS before heading off to get those aerial shots of the race. I say double check because I know that you all check at least once but  to be even safer, why not check twice just to be sure to be sure. Check these AIP's and CHARTS....




IMPORTANT  ---  IMPORTANT,

We have been by Brad Benson (New Airport Manager) that some of our members have still not advised Council of their preference for Landing Fees or the Annual Airport User's Fee. Brad has offered a further extension on the deadline for those that want the Annual Fee until the end if this month. However after that, Landing Fees will apply to all that have not requested (and paid) the annual fee.
I have attached another copy of both the list of current Airport Fees & Charges and the Council's Request Form.
Of course those that have advised Council of their preference and have paid the annual fee (if that was your choice) can simply disregard this advice.

                            <<< CESSNOCK AIRPORT - ADOPTED FEES AND CHARGES >>>


                            <<< REQUEST FOR ANNUAL OPERATING FEES OR LANDING FEES >>>



UPDATE 11 Oct 2017


Hi members, a quick update about the 'guides day' at our clubhouse.


From all reports a very very successful day for all.  A special thanks to all those that did give a helping hand from the club and the guide groups.


Here's a couple of happy snaps - just look at the faces.


  


   


   


 




What a great day...



UPDATE 5 Sept 2017


Hi Members,

By now you will have received a separate note with a rundown on the Fly-in & Poker Run so no need to go over that again except to say that it was a great day in all respects - even the weather was just about perfect!

Here's a couple photos early in the day...

 
 
 
  



Reminder - September Meeting is happening this coming Sunday (10th September) at the usual time 11am kick off with 12 oçlock BBQ Lunch.

A couple of fly-out invitations that you may be interested in:

   This coming Saturday (9th May) we have an invitation to a  Fly-in BBQ at Welington  Airport. Here is a copy of the invitation for your information:

> Dear Pilots,
>
> The Wellington Aero Club Inc. is having a BBQ at Wellington Aerodrome on Saturday 9th September 2017 and you are invited to come.
>
> It will be a chance to get together and to inspect the progress on our new hangar. The members have been working hard and have most of the framework up.
>
> Bruce would you please let the Mudgee pilots know? Last time Garry Bloomfield and Bruce Giddings came and they may like to come again.
>
> Keith, would you let the Cessnock people know?
>
> Members, is there anyone else we should invite?
>
>  
>
> Please let me know if you intend to come for catering purposes. If you end up not being able to come due to weather or other issues that’s OK, at least if everyone turns up, there will be enough food to feed everyone.
>
> Regards Fran Philipson
>
> Hon secretary Wellington Aero Club Inc.
>
> George 0427 130139
>
> Fran 0427 871143

   On Saturday 23rd September, Gerard Kitt is off to Temora for an overnighter. Temora Aviators are puting on lunch and Gerard will be demonstrating the new Tecnam P2008. Gerard has asked if anyone would like to join him and fly down in company, they will be very welcome. However, it will be an early start (first light departure) to maximise the time at Temora on Saturday then fly back on Sunday. Anyone interested should contact Gerard on 0439 541 911.

The SW weather camera is now up and running again and has proven its reliability over the past couple of weeks. However, it has a new address so please delete the previously provided link for camera 4 and replace it with this new link. I have asked Murray to update our website and I will ask OzRunways to add the remaining three cameras to their maps tonight so they should all be up on OzRunways within the next few days.

https://icons.wunderground.com/webcamramdisk/w/u/WU_3410162/5/current.jpg?1503112375



UPDATE  29 Aug 2017


The Cessnock Council advise as follows  <<< CLICK HERE >>>



UPDATE  27 Aug 2017



   Don't forget to complete the CCC form and return it to the Council if you have not already done so and you have an aircraft based at YCNK. We have been advised by a couple of our members, that The Council have changed their account and reference number for paying the annual Airport User's Fee by EFT or BPay this year. I think that the correct information is provided on the invoice however, if you have saved information on your computer from any previous year, you will need to update it.

We have attached a few rules for the upcoming Poker Run to be held on the 2nd September this year (only a little over a week away). This document "Poker Run Rules" has also been added to the "Info Pac" (  <<<  CLICK HERE  >>>  )  

Also attached find minutes of the August General Meeting,  the 2017 AGM and the Treasurer's and President's reports. Thanks to Chris Stewart for taking notes in the absence of the Secretary.  



UPDATE  14 Aug 2017


Hello Members,

At the HRFC Meeting today, quite a bit of time was taken up discussing both the upcoming Fly-in / Poker Run and the Weather Cameras so I thought that I should distribute a copy of the initial correspondence sent to surrounding aero clubs and the operators of the private strips that have been good enough to allow us to use their strip in our Poker Run. This should bring all members up to date and it contains the info that will also be forwarded to others that indicate an interest in the Poker Run. It also includes access to the Weather Camera images so you may want to save them in your favorites or bookmark them for future reference.

You may notice that we have what is probably a connection issue with Camera 4 as it is not updating regularly - that will be fixed at first opportunity. At this stage we have had Camera 1 added to OzRunways until we have sorted any bugs that may show up in a new installation. Once we are happy that the system is reliable we will most likely make all four available through OzRunways. These links are also accessible through our website and the images through the Weather Underground website by searching Cessnock Australia and clicking on the icon at the airport.

Anyway, take a look, and if you can identify any problems in the material, please let me know and of course if you have any question just ask.

Regards
Bob Finch

Club President



IMPORTANT  -  IMPORTANT  -  IMPORTANT

Hi Members,

CCC have asked us to send the attached form to all HRFC Members this year in order to clarify each aircraft owner's preference for either Landing Fees or Annual Operating Fee.

So, if you are the owner of any aircraft based at Cessnock, you are required to complete the form and and return it to Cessnock City Council as soon as practical.

Be aware, that it is a condition of the Club's licence to operate from the airport, that we inform Council on an annual basis of all aircraft housed in the HRFC hangars (this requirement remains) and in the past, that advice has included notification of the owner's preference in regard to annual or landing fees.

This revised approach in regard to the fees, should make the process cleaner from the Club's perspective as the charges are not Club fees, they are a charge by Council (as the airport owner) on all aircraft owners for the use of the Council facilities.

For your information, please find attached a copy  of the 2017-2018 schedule of fees <<<  PRESS HERE  >>> and
the form to be sent to council.  <<< PRESS HERE >>>. Thought that it may help you make your decision which way to jump.

Please adhere to these requirements as soon as practical if they apply to you as an aircraft owner so as not to reflect adversely on our Club.



UPATE POST


There was an incorrect phone number included in the "YarrawaInfo" sheet. Peter Marhein's contact number should have read 0429 499 785.

   The landing fee shown in the "WarnervaleInfo" sheet should have read $15 per tonne - not $27.50!

Both of these errors have now been corrected in Dropbox. However, if you have already shared the Dropbox link, it may be wise to notify the recipient.



A NOTE FROM THE PRES - AUG 12


Hello Fellow Aviators,


Last September, the Hunter Recreational Flying Club held it's first Fly-in Luncheon at our Club Facilities on the Western Side of Cessnock Airport (YCNK). That inaugural event was quite low key and was intended to simply "test the water". This year we have decided to run a very similar Fly-in with an all morning breakfast but include a Poker Run on Saturday 2nd September.

I have placed information relating to this years Wine Country Fly-in & Poker Run in Drop Box and have included this link   www.dropbox.com/sh/b83qww5t8jyxk1h/AACqA9iS0gzDZqTtkjDLGlMPa?dl=0   for you to access it. Feel free to pass the information on to anyone that you think may be interested. For a quick look   <<< PRESS HERE >>>

The information included on the five air strips where participating pilots can drop in and collect cards is fairly basic and is simply intended to highlight any local requirements for pilots that are unfamiliar with the location - It is not meant to supersede ERSA or the relevant aeronautical maps etc..

A couple of other points to note concerning the Poker Run that are not specified in the included "Poker Run NOTAM" or may need further clarification (A sort of FAQ's) are:

   Participants can start the Poker Run from any of the listed air fields - It does not start at Cessnock - Just arrive at Cessnock with three cards still in their sealed envelopes for each entrant. Cards are collected from any of the five listed strips. It is not necessary to visit all five but at least two would be good. The remaining two cards will be drawn at Cessnock YCNK to make up a five card poker hand..
   An all morning hot breakfast will be available at reasonable prices.
   The $10 entry fee for the Poker Run is payable on the day at the card table.
   Prizes will be based on the "Wine Country" theme.
   I have not included information relating to Cessnock Airport in the Info Pac as it is all available in ERSA - just follow standard procedures.
   Our Club has just this week installed weather cameras at YCNK which may be of help to anyone coming from further afield. Links to the cameras are at the bottom of this note. There are also links available on our club website and one to the main camera (facing north east) on OzRunways. Incidentally we expect OzRunways to be represented on the day.
   Aircraft parking will be on the grass area in front of the HRFC hangars on the western side of the airport.

Any changes, and I will advise all of those on this distribution. Anyone else wanting to be on the distribution should contact me and if you identify any errors in the material provided, please let me know.

Regarsds
Bob Finch

Club President
Ph  0428 767 279



AS AT 1 AUG 2017


Committee Nominations


Well we am still waiting for the influx of committee nominations for the upcoming AGM - can't understand it - Must have forgotten to attach the nomination forms <<<  PRESS HERE  >>> to my last update so I will try again this time. Can't think of any other reason???.

   August Meeting:
Keep in mind the next meeting day is Sunday week (13th August) and that includes both the 2017 AGM and the August monthly meeting - so please try to be there if you can.

   Fly-in & Poker Run:
Preparations are well under way for the Fly-in lunch and Poker Run to be held on Saturday 2nd September. We are hoping for a good attendance this time with the Poker Run and a few new aircraft on display - it should be a good day. We need as many aircraft as we can get to participate in the Poker Run so if you are interested, you need to contact me (the Pres) for details. It is a simple and fun game of chance - Not a race or test of flying or navigational skills. All that is involved is a short flight to a couple of the other participating airports, pick up a couple of playing cards in sealed envelopes and present them back at the card table by 2pm to find out who the prize winners are. Too easy but should be fun - Oh, and both pilots and passengers can enter. We have attached a flyer <<<  PRESS HERE ((Flyer)) >>>     ...       <<<  PRESS HERE  (( Directions ))  >>> with a little more information, this flyer is being distributed to other Clubs and Airports in the region.

   Weather Cameras:
Camera installation is under way and I am hoping that they will be available for demo and distribution of the access link by next meeting.

   Girl Guides Air Activity Day 7th October:
The Club will be hosting a Girl Guides Air Activity Day on Saturday October 7th. This will be a similar event to those that we have supported in the past for the Lower Hunter Scouts. Aircraft will come from Camden to provide flights for the Guides on the day and the Club will provide the venue. I have agreed to make our BBQ facilities available (the Guides will provide their own food etc.). Guides will have their own group leaders and some parents for supervision, however, we will need to to have a couple of Members on hand to provide access to facilities and to make sure that safety rules are observed. Unfortunately, I won't be available on this date so will be looking for two or three volunteers .

   Volunteers Needed:
With the Fly-in, Poker Run and Guides day coming up, we will need to have some volunteer workers available on those days. So, if you think that you can be available to assist on either or both of those dates (nothing too strenuous) please let me know. I am just hoping that the response is better than it has been from potential committee members 😊.

All of the rules and list of  participating airports
etc. for the Poker run will be available some time in the next couple of days. They will be sent directly to those that indicate that they are interested in entering. So, if that is you, let me know either by return email or phone and I will get the info to you as soon as it is available.



AS AT JULY 31

Attached find two .PDF files - one containing the minutes of the June general Meeting and the second the minutes of last year's AGM.


                    <<<   HRFC AGM MINUTES 2016   >>>                    <<<  HRFC Minutes July 2017   >>>


AS AT 6 JUNE 2017


Another couple of reminders:


   AGM:
The Club's 2017 Annual General Meeting will be held next month (August) and for those that are new to the club, our AGM is traditionally held at 11 am on the second Sunday in August and is immediately followed by the August monthly meeting.

       So, it is time to be thinking about who we want to manage the club for the next twelve months as all committee positions will be declared vacant and a new committee elected at the AGM. If you would like to be nominated for a position or you would like to nominate any member (who is agreeable) just use the attached form <<<  CLICK HERE >>> and have it completed and returned ahead of the AGM.

       Also at the AGM, we need to make a decision on fees and charges.  Any change to joining fees and annual membership charges that may be approved at the AGM, would come into effect at the beginning of the following financial year. ie. July 1st 2018.  I am sure that our current treasurer will provide a detailed financial report and a recommendation in regard to fees and charges. However, it is every member's Club so if you have an opinion on the subject, please let us know or be at the AGM to vote.

   Airpot Fees & Charges:
We have just received the 2017 - 2018 Airport User's fees and charges (Cessnock landing fees and the landing fee exemption cost) from Cessnock City Council and over the next few days, I will put together a list of Member's aircraft and I will send out a request to each owner to nominate whether they want landing fees or the exemption if it is available to their aircraft. On this subject, we have an issue in that a few of our Members who specified the exemption, failed to pay the exemption fee so the Council is not too impressed. They have indicated that unless we (the Club) can help get this cleared up, they intend to take collection action against the defaulting Members. This does not reflect well on the Club so I will send out a separate note to those affected in an attempt to have the matter resolved.

   Fly-in lunch:
Try to keep Saturday 2nd of September free to attend our Fly-in lunch. This time around, we intend to combine a local Poker Run with the Luncheon. More to follow on this one.

   Survey:
At the June Meeting, a decision was made to distribute a brief survey to members to seek input as to the direction in which you would like to see the Club move or any changes that you feel may benefit the Club.  Unfortunately, I have not had an opportunity to do this yet but sometime next week, I will send out a Survey Monkey to gather the information. The more input that we receive, the more benefit is likely to be gained so please respond if you have any ideas to share.

   Weather Cameras:
The Club has purchased weather cameras and the necessary associated equipment to enable us to provide weather shots for the convenience and safety of Members and other pilots operating in or out of Cessnock. The cameras will be installed over the next couple of weeks and once complete, members will be advised on how to access the information


AS AT 3 JUNE 2017


JUNE MEETING MINUTES

                              <<< CLICK HERE FOR THE MINUTES >>>


IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING THEY WISH TO RAISE AT THE JULY MEETING - PLEASE SEND AN EMAIL WITH YOUR THOUGHTS



AS AT 13 JUNE 2017


PETER BLAKENEY

I have just spoken to Peter's wife and she said that he is still in the hospital and has a fractured disc. Initial thoughts were that he would need surgery but that was revised last night and it was decided to try just pain management and a brace. A further assessment will be carried out tomorrow but even if surgery is not required his wife expects him to remain in the hospital for the rest of the week.
Apparently, Peter has had a back issue for a while (a bulging disc) but whether that had a bearing on the fracture or not, I don't know.


AS AT 9 UNE 2017


Next HRFC Meeting:

Don't forget that the next HRFC General Meeting will be held this coming Sunday (11th June) at the regular time of 11am and the usual BBQ will follow at noon.


   CASA AVSAFETY SEMINAR:
There is a CASA AvSafety Seminar scheduled for Tuesday evening 27th at 6pm.
The AvSafety Seminar will run through to 8pm and will be followed by a light meal. For those that have not attended one of these seminars in the past, they are quite interesting and well presented by CASA Safety Advisers, so please try to be there if you can.
The Club generally hosts at least one and sometimes two per year and all members and non-member pilots, student pilots and other interested parties are welcome. There is no charge - EVEN THE MEAL I FREE.

NOTE: CASA ask that those wishing to attend, pre register on the CASA AvSafety website <www.casa.gov.au/avsafety> We like that too (for catering). Howevcer, if you have any problems - come anyway and register on the night.

MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS:
Since the last note that I sent out, several of our members have already paid their dues for the 2017-2018 period and those early remittances are very much appreciated - THANK YOU.
For those that have not renewed yet, this is a reminder that all renewals are due by June 30th.
This year's subscriptions remain unchanged at $95 for full members and $25 for social members.
Bank details are shown below for those wanting to pay by EFT (preferred). Otherwise, payment by cash or cheque can be made to the Treasurer at the meeting on Sunday or mailed to Hunter Recreational Flying Club PO Box 614 Cessnock 2325.

HI-VIS CLOTHING:
Members are reminded that there is a requirement from Cessnock City Council and many other airport operators that anyone exiting an aircraft on the movement area, or otherwise entering the movement area for any reason must wear a Hi-Viz vest.
The Club supports all initiatives to improve safety and recommends that members have Hi-Vis vests in their aircraft to meet this requirement.
To further support this requirement, the Club has a stock of suitable vests with the Club Logo on the back and they are available for purchase at $12 each.

HRFC FLY-IN DATE CHANGE:
You may recall that a June date was suggested earlier this year for our next Fly-in Lunch. Unfortunately, that date proved to be unsuitable far a couple of reasons and a Committee decision has been made to push it out to Saturday, September 2nd  2017. More info will be provided shortly.

       HRFC Bank Details:
           Bank: Westpac Cessnock
           Account Name: Hunter Recreational Flying Club
           Acc. Number:  12-1379
           BSB:  032-516

       NOTE: Please put your name as reference on the EFT or advise us by email so that receipts can be assigned to the correct member.


AS AT 30 APRIL 2017

A note from Bob (Pres)


A bit of catch up after my return from NZ. And if anyone wants to know, the Blenheim Airshow was fantastic!!! WW1 Tri planes & Bi planes, dog fights, mock battles, the smell of burning caster oil, the sound of the rotary engines with their hit and miss ignition controlling engine output - I was like a kid in a lolly shop. Then there was the war birds - Spitfires, Hurricanes, Yacs, Avro Anson , Vampire etc. etc. The list goes on and on.

NEXT CLUB MEETING   ---  7 MAY 2017
   Don't forget that the May meeting is always held on the first Sunday of the month (7th) to avoid a clash with Mother's Day. Not the usual second Sunday.


CASA SEMINAR 0 TUESDAY 27 JUNE @ 6PM
   The Club will be sponsoring another CASA AvSafety Seminar on Tuesday 27th June commencing at 6pm and running through to 8pm.

A light meal will follow.

For those members that are not familiar with the AvSafety Seminars, our Club sponsors one or two each year and they are well worth attending. There is no charge and all Members and visitors are welcome.

If you plan on coming, please preregister on line if you can at <www.casa.gov.au/avsafety>

   If you have not used the system before, just click SEMINARS AND WORKSHOPS / AVSAFETY SEMINARS / Select the STATE (just above the map) / click NEWCASTLE (on the map) / then select REGISTER NOW / and REGISTER. Select the NUMBER OF PEOPLE from the dropdown box then CHECK OUT / Now FILL IN YOUR DETAILS - Job done. However, if for any reason you are unable to preregister, you can register on the night but please preregister if you can.

The speaker on the night will be Teraya Miller (CASA Aviation Safety Adviser)

OUR LAST FLY-IN
You may recall that back in September, we had a rather low key fly-in in which we invited members of various clubs to join us for lunch on the Saturday and if they wish, stay over and join us for breakfast on the Sunday morning. That seemed to work well so it has been decided to repeat the act on the weekend of June 24th and 25th. With any luck, we may have a couple of new aircraft available to check out so put it in the diary as we would like to build up the numbers and make it a regular event in the future.

GIRL GUIDES/SCOUTS - AIR ACTIVITY DAY - SATURDAY 7 OCT 2017
   We have also agreed to host a Girl Guides Air Activity Day similar to the Scouts Air Activity Days that we have hosted in the past. On these days, the boys and girls are put through various qualifications and the organisers (Country Activity Coordinator (Air Activity Centre)) provide their own aircraft and pilots and take all of the participating Scouts/Guides on a flight. The event takes all day and at the last event that we hosted, three 172s were used to fly about sixty scouts. The kids love it and really enjoy the opportunity to see our planes up close and get to fly Ben's simulator (the real hit of the day). This event will be held on Saturday 7th October so it still a while off.

MEMBERSHIP RENEWALS
   I think that we should start now to remind Members that all membership renewals fall due by June 30th - that means that they are overdue on the 1st of July 😊. So, please try to submit your renewal prior to that date to avoid the cost of another joining fee. In the last couple of years, our on-time renewals have improved considerably but as with anything there is always room for further improvement and  it will be nice when we can say that we did not have to chase anyone this year.



AS AT 12 Mar 2017


General Meeting

For those that do not know - the licensing/leasing debarcle is ramping up.  Following a meeting with council of recent date - it appears that they are reneging  on their past position re  length of tenure etc.  Discussed at length at the meeting with the outcome being a request for nominations for Hanger Owners reps, to meet with other lic/leasees on field with the view of a joint approach.  We'll see what happens.


NEW SOLAR PANEL CHARGER

The club now has a new solar charger for the 'ride-on'.  Please follow the instructions and 'DON"T RIDE OFF LEAVING THE PANEL CONNECTED !!!!!! '



AS AT 31 Aug 2016


AGM Election of office bearers:

Very little change from last year - only two new position holders. Bob Francis replaces Phil Murdoch as Secretary and Chris Stewart replaces Ray Hughes as an ordinary committee member. The current committee comprises of Bob Finch (President), Bob Francis (Secretary), Don Ramsay (Treasurer), Murray Edwards (Vice President), Chris Stewart, Ron West & Keith McGeachie (ordinary committee members) and Gordon Timmins (Public Officer).


HRFC Postal Address:
You will notice that the footer at the bottom of this email now contains a Postal Address for Club correspondence. The new mailing address is PO Box 641 Cessnock NSW 2325. Thanks to the new Secretary for setting that up.

Lower Hunter Scouts Air Activity Day:
The Scouts' Activity Day held last Saturday was a big success with seventy-two Scouts & Cubs being put through their paces. There were three Cessna 172's from Camden to give them all a fly. However, in my opinion, Ben Reddall and his daughter Brena with the simulator were the crowd favorites. Ben says, "All up we delivered 80 sim rides (including intro to flight controls, take off, climb, coordinated turns and a few attempts at landing at Williamtown) each ride taking about 5mins with a 1 min turn around to adjust the cockpit fit (scouts come in a wide range of sizes)". A good day's work I say. Thanks too, to Jenny Murdoch, John Arthurson and anyone else that took the time to help out on the day.

            


HRFC Fly-in:
Don't forget to keep the 24th September free for the Club's first Fly-in. Brunch or All Morning Breakfast by Lyons Club on Saturday with a Pancake Breakfast on the Sunday for anyone staying over or just coming back for more.


                                                       

Prop Balancing:
Members may recall that a few months ago we had a visit from Keith Baker who gave us a talk and demonstration of prop balancing on Don Ramsay's Sling. Keith has advised that he will be in the area again in either late August or early September and if any members would like to have their prop dynamically balanced while he is here, he can be contacted on 02 4423 1087 or Mob. 0425 319 669.

Hangar Space Available:
I have been advised that we currently have some hangar space available. So, if you are, or if you know of anyone in need of hangar space, here are the contacts: Hangar 8 (space for rent) contact Don Laverick 02 49876523, Hangar 7 (Space for Rent) Contact Keith Rule 02 49902900, Hangar 2 (Share for sale) Contact Roger Foster 02 49545579. Just be mindful that anyone renting MUST be a financial member of the Club and anyone buying MUST be a financial FULL member.



AS AT 14  Aug 2016


AGM

All went according to the script.  Good attendance, new nomination/s and a free lunch - plus an intro to and from the new airport manager...

Elected office holders:

         President Bon Finch

         Vice President Murray Edwards

         Secretary Bob Francis

         Treasurer Don Ramsay

         Committee Keith McGeachie, Ron West, Chris Stewart



AS AT 23 JULY 2016


First and foremost the reminder that the next meeting (August) is the Club's 2016 AGM.

As always at the Anual General Meeting, all committee positions will be declared vacant and a new committee will be elected for the 2016-2017 period. So please put the thinking caps on and if there is anyone in the Club that you think would make a good committee member, all you need to do is discuss it with them and if they are prepared to accept nomination, find another member to second the nomination then complete a nomination form (copy attached), have it signed and returned to the current committee prior to the meeting.  Of course, if you would like to be considered for any position on the committee, just have another member nominate you and another second the nomination on the attached sheet and submit it.
NOTE: Our Secretary (Phil Murdoch) has advised that he will not be standing for the position again this year so we will need a new Secretary at the very least but remember that all positions will be up for grabs and they say that "a change is as good as holiday" - So start thinking!!   <<<NOMINATION FORM>>>

Member's Register Update:
In order to keep our records current, from time to time we need to run a survey and ask all members to re-submit their details so I am including the following link to Survey Monkey and ask all members to just fill in the details requested and press the "Done" button when complete to submit your input. If there are two members in your family, you should be able to use this survey twice. It is as simple as that. Here is the link   https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B36FSV9

Member's Aircraft Register:
And while on the subject of surveys - why stop at one?. We also need to update the Member's Aircraft Register as we have an obligation under our licence with Cessnock City Council to keep them informed of all aircraft based at the Club's Facilities. So, if you are an owner or part owner of an aircraft based at the Club hangars, please use this link to update your aircraft details including whether you prefer landing fees or the annual airport user's fee to be exempt from landing fees. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BBJ6JKT

Hangar Owners:
And what about Hangar Owners? We don't want to ignore them. Recently we noted that neither Council records or Insurance records are completely up to date following the sale of some hangar syndicate shares to let's get that out of the way too. Here is another link for Hangar Owners. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/BBM52FS

Aircraft Simulator:
Now that you are so comfortable with surveys, and if you are a simulator user, take a look at this one received recently from Ben Reddall. Ben is the builder and owner of the Sim in the Clubhouse and is seeking feedback to improve his machine now that it has been in service for a while and several members have taken advantage of its availability. Ben has asked me to distribute the link for him. Even if you have not used Ben's simulator, but you have used others, Ben would still like your input. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/C6SVKPH

Airport Fees and Charges:
The 2016 - 2017 Airport fees and charges have now been received from CCC so I have attached a copy for your review. If you are an aircraft owner, you may want to check this out before updating the Aircraft Owner's Register as one of the questions asks for a decision as to whether you want to pay landing fees or the annual airport user's fee to be exempt from landing fees at Cessnock. Incidentally, Council has advised that a couple of our Members that were expected to pay the annual fee last year but failed to do so, will not be entitled to the landing fee exemption until their account is current.
Well, that is an update with a difference - I think it asks a lot more questions than it answers.    <<LANDING FEES>>

Please help us get the records straight by filling out the surveys that apply to you  


AS AT 8 July 2016


CASA AvSafety Seminar
The AvSafety Seminar hosted by the Club yesterday evening was a success with an attendance of 25 in spite of the freezing wind. So, a big thanks to those that made the effort and braved the weather.


• Next Meeting:

The July Meeting will be held on Sunday (10th July) at the usual time and place - Clubhouse 11am with BBQ to follow at noon.


• Membership Renewals:
The response to our push to get membership renewals in by the due date has been great (and very much appreciated). Most members have done the right thing and there are only a few still outstanding. I will do a further check and if any of the "stragglers" have aircraft at the club or are hangar syndicate members etc. I will send out a final reminder by SMS to those individuals. It is a condition of our licence with Cessnock City Council that only financial members of HRFC can conduct any activities from the Club's facilities.

• An anonymous donor?:
We have received into our bank, what appears to be a membership renewal with the reference 002263 but we don't recognise the number. So, if you are 002263, just let me or the treasurer know so that we can assign the deposit to the correct member.

• Aircraft registrations:
It is time to update the Council with a list of Member's Aircraft again so I will distribute a survey once I receive the 2016-2017 landing fees and exemption charges from Council. This will provide an opportunity to seek updated member details at the same time so I will most likely use Survey Monkey to gather the information in order to simplify your response.

• Lower Hunter Air Scouts:
As you probably know, the Scout's air Activity Day planned for 18th June was cancelled due to bad weather. A new date has now been agreed and it has been rescheduled for Saturday 20th August.


UPDATE 18 June


Members are reminded that the CASA AvSafety Seminar is at 6pm Tuesday evening 21st June and those interested in attending are asked to pre-register online if possible.


Just log onto   www.casa.gov.au/avsafety  and click register now and follow the steps.


Just received a phone call advising that the Lower Hunter Air Scouts Activity Day scheduled for today has been cancelled due to the weather forecast. A new date will be set in the near future.



JUNE 4th UPDATE



Saturday June 11th Flyin   -  QUIRINDI AREO CLUB


We will be having our regular Saturday flyin on the 11th June but with a difference. “Barnstorming with Barnaby” The theme is protecting local airports as important community assets.

Sonja has done a great job in organizing Barnaby Joyce to attend our  Flyin. We will hopefully have BAE training aircraft and instructors coming along as well.

The program will be as follows:

10.00 am- Aircraft arrive for morning tea

11.00 am- Brief history of Quirindi Aero Club

11.15 am- BEA instructors explain training school operation safety and engagement with local GA and RAus fliers

11.45 am- Andrew Hope from Quirindi Council discusses the challenge of managing and maintaining local airport assets.

12.15 pm- Barnaby Joyce- How government may be able to  assist in maintaining community airports.

12.30 pm BBQ Lunch


This email was generated through the website...


Date: 02 Jun 2016
Your email address: Patrick.Coleman@Garmin.com
Your message: Hello, I am Garmin’s sales manager for aviation products in Australia and New Zealand, and am based outside Sydney. I would like to attend your BBQ event on June 12th. I would like to make myself available to discuss anything Garmin avionics related. I can bring a few products with me for the members to have a play with as well. I don't intend this to be a sales-related visit. I am genuinely interested in interacting with pilots and answering any questions they may have. I can be reached at this email address. Thanks!



Membership Renewals:


Don't forget that all memberships are due for renewal by June 30th. Over the next few days, we will send out a specific reminder setting out the charges (which are still at last year's rate) and the bank detail. It has been brought to our attention that our past practice of allowing members up to the date of our AGM in August to renew is in breech of our constitution so we really need to get our act together and bring the renewals in line with the rules. Payment after the due date should incur another joining fee because under our constitution, membership that has not been renewed by the due date are considered as having lapsed and to renew involves a new application - and I am sure that none of us want to be incurring any more expense than is absolutely necessary.


Over Due subscriptions:

I mentioned previously that due to a glitch in our system, a number of members had not renewed their membership last year and an individual note was sent to each of those concerned. I would like now to thank all of those "defaulters" that quickly responded and brought their subs up to date. There are still a couple of stragglers but the majority were very prompt and that is very much appreciated THANK YOU.

Lower Hunter Air Scouts Activity Day:

Some of our members will recall that two years ago we hosted an Air Activity Day for the Lower Hunter Air Scouts. We have been asked to do the same again this year and a date of Saturday June 18th has now been confirmed. For these occasions, the Scouts provide their own aircraft and pilots but use our Club facilities for lectures and to provide an opportunity for the Scouts to inspect as many aircraft as we can make available. On the last occasion, they were able to use the simulator and have asked that this be made available again this time possible.

Invitations to upcoming events:

CASA AvSafety Seminar:

Our Club facilities have once again been chosen as the preferred venue for another CASA AvSafety Seminar to be held on Tuesday evening (6pm) on June 21st. A flyer is attached and don't forget to register on line if you wish to attend. The url for registering is shown on the flyer but as usual, if you have any issues registering, we can help you out on the night but if possible, please register prior.


Biggest Morning Tea Fly-in:

You may recall that last year, a planned "Biggest Morning Tea" at Peter Marheine's Yarrawa property (near Denman) was cancelled on two occasions due to poor weather. They have not given up and it has been scheduled again for Sunday 29th May. This is a fund raiser with proceeds going to the Cancer Council so it is a good cause and well worth supporting. A flyer with more details is attached.


Another Biggest Morning Tea:

In the last update, I advised that we have been invited to the Orange Aero Club's Biggest Morning Tea to be held on June 4th. I have been expecting to receive a flyer in the mail but at this stage it has not arrived. However, for those that would like to attend, more details can be found on the Club's web site <http://www.orangeaeroclub.com.au/>


Proposed Fly-in:

At the last meeting, it was proposed that the Club conduct a fairly low key fly-in in the not too distant future. To do this we will need to have a number of volunteers - a small sub committee to do some  organizing and a number of volunteers to help on the day. So, if you are feeling energetic and that way inclined, I would love to hear from you.


VALE:


For those that do not already know - it's with a sad heart that we advise of the sad passing of Bruce McLean on the 8th May.

A welcoming happy face to all who bumped into him.

The wind shall be forever under his wings.



AS AT 24 APRIL


Anzac Day:

On Anzac Day, Pay's warbirds will be out in force and Scone Aero Club have organised a look over the aircraft before and after their parade sorties over various town marches, plus watching them depart and return at Scone aerodrome. It was suggested that it would be good to be at Scone by 9.30am if anyone is interested. Scone Aero Club is also organising a BBQ lunch on that day. - Sorry for the short notice on this one.

June 4th:

Orange Aero Club are holding their "Biggest Morning Tea" at 10am on Saturday 4th June. More information can be found on their web site   <http://www.orangeaeroclub.com.au/>

Next HRFC General Meeting:

Don't forget that the next meeting (May) will be brought forward to the first Sunday to avoid a clash with Mother's Day.

Don Ramsay has asked for time following the May meeting to do a quick Q&A session on what is being proposed by RA-Aus in regard to their revised constitution and special resolution to change their form of incorporation. Don will address any questions and explain the voting process. Voting forms will be available for RA-Aus Members to cast their vote on the day if they wish.

HRFC Grounds Maintenance:

You will recall that in the last update and following a motion carried at the February meeting, I included a draft of a proposed roster for having the grass around the hangars, clubhouse and parking area mowed. I asked for members to review the proposed roster that places the onus of organising the monthly mowing on each hangar. The subject was discussed further at the March meeting and as there was no other feedback received, the system is now in play and a further copy of the roster is attached. Just to be clear, the names listed on the roster are those nominated by each hangar as their representative to the HRFC - there is no suggestion that these are the people that are expected to do all of the work! Just to see that arrangements are in place for their allocated month. I intend to send a text message reminder to the relevant Hangar Rep's at the beginning of each month.

Membership Renewals: Recently we have identified an issue in the way that we have (or have not) correctly reconciled our monies received against membership renewals due. This resulted in a lack of follow up on overdue renewals last year and consequently, several renewals were not received. The members effected have been notified by separate correspondence and a process change has been implemented to prevent a reoccurrence this year. We will also send out a separate notice to all members during May as a further reminder that renewals are due by June 30th.

Minutes of the HRFC April meeting and Financial Report have not been received yet from the Secretary or Treasurer but will be distributed separately once received.



AS AT 7 NOV


RA AUS MEMBERS

If you are an RA (Aus) member, you will be aware of the RA (Aus) initiative to engage their CFI's in a safety drive by having the CFI's conduct a "toolbox talk" on safety matters with as many pilots and students as practical. So, during the November meeting, there will be a brief safety discussion conducted by either Keith McGeachie (or one of his instructors). This will be a first for HRFC and if it is successful and the members agree, I would like to see it become a regular agenda item at all of our monthly meetings - we can discuss this further at the meeting. Whether you are an RA (Aus) pilot or Student, a PPL or CPL holder or just an aviation enthusiast, this should be of interest to you so please try to be there as safety is everyone's responsibility.


ELLERSTON STATION VISIT
Last Saturday, along with a couple of other HRFC members I attended the Ellerston Station visit that was organized by the Scone Aero Club and for those that were not there, you missed a great day!

Unfortunately, Allen Malam and I were not able to stay on for the evening dinner and the "Cressfield" stud tour on Sunday but we thoroughly enjoyed the day on Saturday. Extremely well organized by the Scone Members and we were well looked after by the Ellerston staff.

RATHMINES - CATALINA EVENT DAY

Keith McGeachie, Leighton Judd and Harry Ham took part in the aerial display at the Catalina event over Rathmines on Sunday with a three ship formation flight with three Tecnams. I was not able to attend however, I understand that the event went off very well.

FUTURE EVENTS

Also, coming up this month are a few events of interest that members may like to attend:

Luskintyre Aviator's Club - (1st Saturday) Lunch with the Tiger Moths this Saturday 7th November - This month will feature a visit by two Caribou aircraft.

Gloucester Aero Club - Gloucester Fly-in 2015 Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th November (flyer attached)

Our HRFC November Meeting - (2nd Sunday) This month with Safety "Toolbox Talk" Sunday 8th November.


Quirindi Aero Club - (2nd Saturday) Monthly Club Day - Saturday 14th November.


Scone Aero Club - (3rd Saturday) Monthly Club Day. Scones, Tea/Coffee and BBQ. Saturday 21st November.


AS AT 19 SEPT

Oooops - Forgot to include a reminder in last night's update for the OzRunways training session this coming Sunday afternoon.


Please try to be there if you are an OzRunways user (or prospective user). This session will commence at 1pm and is expected to run for around 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. The presenter will be Neil Weste - one of the OzRunways founders.



AS AT 18 Sept 2015

Those that were not at the September meeting on Sunday,

missed an interesting talk and demonstration on dynamic prop balancing by Keith Baker. At the end of the meeting, Keith gave a brief run down on the balancing process, the benefits and the electronic equipment used. Then, after lunch a practical demonstration as he balanced the prop and spinner on Don Ramsay's Sling. Don says that there was a noticeable reduction in vibration  in what was considered a smooth running aircraft.

A few of our members

-flew out to Wellington on Saturday to attend what was the last of the annual Grange View Fly-ins. I have not spoken to all of those that attended but I understand that it was a great day for all of those that made the effort. Apparently the property has been sold and so there will no fly-on next year.

A couple of interesting invitations
have been received that you may be interested in:

Ellerton Station Fly-in & Scone Aviation / Equine Weekend 24th - 25th October 2015. Scone Aero Club have invited our members to attend this event which includes a rare opportunity to experience a guided tour around the Packer's internationally renowned polo facilities and 18 hole golf course. A flyer with more details is attached.
There are a couple of important points that need to be noted in regard to the Ellerston Visit so please read the "Fine Print" on the flyer if you are considering this one.


The Historical Aircraft Restoration Society (HARS)

- are expanding to include a restoration center at Parkes in Central NSW and the Parkes Aero Club have invited us to Fly in to Parkes on 25th - 26th September to coincide with a visit by one of HARS's historic aircraft (a Dakota DC3). I have attached a copy of the HARS media release for your information along with a photo of the DC3. Any funds raised through inspections of the DC3 on the day will go to HARS.
If you are able, please try to support either one or both of these events - they should be well worth while.

          <<  CLICK (dc3) HERE  >>           << CLICK (HARS MEDFIA RELEASE) HERE >>         << CLICK  (ELLERTON FLYER ) HERE  >>


 
Back to content | Back to main menu